Before, sportswear was limited to the bare minimum: shorts, a t-shirt and that was it. Over the years, the culture and practice of sport have changed considerably. The needs have evolved and new types of clothing have been developed to meet this demand.
It is very important that when you train you are not embarrassed by your clothes. Your CrossFit outfit should be functional and breathable.
CrossFit is a training method that combines different elements from weightlifting, gymnastics, HIIT cardio and other sports practices. Clothing for CrossFit therefore requires a special approach. The main characteristic of this discipline being its high intensity, your CrossFit outfit will have to be resistant to wear and tear and the fabric that composes it will have to be durable.
CrossFit WODs are designed to have you perform fast and explosive movements, so you’ll need an outfit that won’t slow you down. From box jumps to burpees to pull-ups, here’s what to wear during an intense CrossFit workout:
THE CENTRAL ELEMENT OF HIS CROSSFIT OUTFIT: THE SHOES
Shoes are the most important part of your CrossFit outfit. Choose lightweight, agile cross-training shoes that absorb shock well during fast lateral movements. In addition to this, your shoes must also provide a stable base and sufficient energy return when jumping and lifting. Your CrossFit shoes must validate the following points:
- Have lightweight, durable cushioning with a relatively firm midsole that allows you to harness energy rather than waste it, for maximum power during lifts and jumps.
- Have a slight drop between the heel and toes (height difference) to allow your foot to have a stable support.
- Have an upper that wraps around the foot with an external heel counter and solid lateral support to help stabilize and secure the foot
- That the upper is also breathable to help keep your feet cool.
If you are looking for CrossFit shoes, you can check out the collection of Cross Training shoes from Innov8, a brand that specializes in designing athletic shoes.
A TANK TOP OR BREATHABLE T-SHIRT
CrossFit is a tough sport and you are bound to sweat a lot. Your workout clothes should keep you cool and dry and allow you to move freely without discomfort. For your CrossFit outfit, look for workout t-shirts and tank tops with the following features:
- Lightweight, breathable fabric that wicks perspiration away from the skin
- Mesh inserts at key heat points such as under the arms for optimal ventilation and cooling
- Fitted or regular fit. Loose shirts can get caught on dumbbells and other equipment. Look for a flexible fabric that will move with you to allow you a wide range of motion.
- Flat seams. There’s nothing worse than the urge to scratch while you’re making an effort. Look for T-shirts with no seams or with flat seams to avoid chafing.
SHORTS OR LEGGINGS TO ALLOW YOU TO MOVE FREELY
In CrossFit, you’ll need athletic socks that make it easy to move and comfortable to wear. Look for the following items:
- A breathable and flexible fabric with high elastane content for maximum elasticity.
- A fine and clean cut, allowing you the best hip opening.
- If you wear leggings: mesh inserts behind the knee will improve cooling.
- Pockets for your essentials (keys, smartphones, handkerchief…).
FOR WOMEN, A GOOD SPORTS BRA
You’ll be running, jumping and lifting, which means you’ll need a sports bra designed specifically for high-intensity workouts with optimal support. Your sports bra should have :
- high maintenance, with moderate to intense impact. Look for fitted cuts that follow the natural shape of your body so you feel perfectly supported.
- a breathable fabric, offering you comfort and evacuation of perspiration.
- wide and adjustable straps.
SOCKS ADAPTED TO CROSSFIT
Socks are the final element of your CrossFit outfit. You will need breathable socks to keep your feet cool, dry and comfortable during your workout. They shall:
- Be designed in a technical and breathable fabric
- Have an ergonomic cut that follows the shape of the foot to avoid blisters.
You now know everything about the most suitable clothes for CrossFit. Rather than searching for sportswear with the same characteristics as the ones mentioned above, you can simply visit our specialized store. We have an entire collection of sportswear entirely adapted to CrossFit. So you can equip yourself with peace of mind and confidence.